KDE / GNOME - Working Together ?

Greetings,

    I am particularly concerned that the GNOME and KDE projects seem to have
taken a divergent path in implementing a mechanism for application
interaction. That is, the ability of one application to interact "in-place"
with another. I appreciate that a GNOME or KDE application should be able to
function on either desktop but ( look-and-feel issues aside ) it would
really be beneficial if I could use a GNOME application inside a KOffice
application ( or vice versa ).

    This would certainly benefit users, who would have a much greater degree
of choice than in the current all-or-nothing mechanism. Does anyone think it
might be beneficial to engage the GNOME and KDE ( KOffice ) teams ( as well
as commercial application vendors ) in a meaningful discussion that could
lead to a specification where the various applications can work together
seamlessly.

    I understand that everyone thinks they have the best, most efficient,
and most flexible mechanism. However, these projects ( GNOME , KDE ) are all
about attracting users to Unix ( Linux ) platforms, and it would be very
unfortunate if a user was unable to use the application which they wanted
because they already chose one fixed mechanism. Choice is what we are all
after, yes ?

    Why not work together to the benefit of the users, rather than working
independently and splinter a platform which needs to provide a united front
?

Regards,

]{ristoph