Re: win98 doesn't boot after Gnome install!!!

That's fine. Beware though should you try and upgrade.
The problem is neither SuSE nor lilo, it is NT (newer versions, older
versions have been a bit more slack).

NT checks the mbr for modifications (numerous reason: viruses, break in
attempts ...)
and will refuse to cooperate if it has been tempered with.
I would not advice trying out the suggested set up unless you are
willing to take the usual risks of scraping everything afterwards. It
might work, but you stand a fair chance it doesn´t

Using a boot disk has nothing to do with being clever or not it just
saves you tremendous hassle at times.

Sorry for continuing the off topic thread - but this was a bit imprecise
and needed clarification.

Jan