Re: win98 doesn't boot after Gnome install!!!

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:00:33 Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Tom Barraza wrote:
>
> > At this point, I guess I'll have to reinstall everything and
> > not install GNOME until most of the bugs have been worked out
> > of it, at least until the bugs that trash my MBR have been
> > identified and fixed.
>
> Is there even code in gnome that fiddles with the mbr of any devices?

Right, it was definately NOT the gnome installation that did it.  Well, unless
of course, he installed a pre-alpha copy of gfdisk and went to fiddling with it.  :)

> Are you sure you did not copy anything to /dev/hda1 ? Okay maybe a dumb
> idea, but that was my bad newbie mistake... figuring, ah ok so it's not
> mounted, but what could the difference be, I copied a kernel to my
> /dev/hdaX drive and totally erased my mbr, fat, copy of fat, and root
> directory on that msdos drive - needless to say, it was totally ruined....

Ack, bet you'll never do that again.  :)

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

"An honest answer can get you into a lot of trouble."
         - Anonymous