Re: Guile-gtk and odd install paths

Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 06:49:04PM +0100, Marius Vollmer was heard to say:
>
> > I assume you are using guile-gtk-0.15, right?  On what OS (GNU/Linux,
> > FreeBSD, ...)?
>
>   Debian GNU/Linux, guile-gtk and everything else installed from CVS
> in /usr/local/gnome.  I already did the ld.so.conf thing; it works
> for all other Gnome programs and has since last November/December.

Did guile-gtk work for you in the past?  Can you point to a ChangeLog
entry that might have caused your lossage?

But guile-gtk should work even if dynamic linking does not.  When you
use the guile-gtk executable (instead of just guile) it should not do
any calls to dlopen whatsoever.  Does guile-gtk work for you?

Strictly speaking, dynamic linking is still a `bonus' thing in
guile-gtk.  If it works for you, great.  If not, I'm not surprised but
would very much like to know the reason for it.

Because dyn linking works for me, I'm afraid you are pretty much on
your own.  Any help from your side is hugely appreciated.

> > I think there are some messages missing.
>
>   No.  I cut that and pasted it directly into the message.

Ahh, yes.  From your output below I see that your libtool is not
`winning' (you would only get the last dlopening line then).  When
your libtool does not win, gtk/dynlink.scm tries to find the library
in some directories and if it can't find it there, it gives up.  I was
not aware that it actually gives up, that code has been added for the
benefit of FreeBSD (where dlopen appearantly does not searching at all
on its own).  libtool-1.2e is winning, btw.

The whole dynlinking thing is clearly not in a nice state.

>   So..is it possible to do this using config files? (I don't like
> using environment variables for config info unless it's absolutely
> necessary)

I don't like them either for system configuration.  The best advise I
can give is to switch to libtool-1.2e.  It should be available
somewhere in the gnome ftp space.  I got my copy from GNU's anonymous
CVS.  My second best advise is to use guile-gtk instead of guile.

Hmm.  I'm not really satisfied with this reply.  I think guile-gtk
should behave better.

- Marius