Re: Guile-gtk and odd install paths

Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:

>   Hi, I've been trying to get Guile-GTK working and I've had some
> problems due to the fact that I decided to install it under
> /usr/local/gnome.

I'm pretty much confused myself what's going on with the load-paths of
shared libraries, but a pretty sure way is probably to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include /usr/local/gnome/lib/.
Putting that directory in /etc/ld.so.conf should ideally have the same
effect, but it might very well be the case that it hasn't.

I assume you are using guile-gtk-0.15, right?  On what OS (GNU/Linux,
FreeBSD, ...)?

Starting with 0.15, guile-gtk is shipped with a libtool that should
get all inter-library dependencies right on GNU/Linux and use dlopen
directly without doing any useful path searching itself.  When the
library is in /etc/ld.so.cache, dlopen should find it just fine.  You
can check the contents of this cache with "ldconfig -p".

>   I dug around in the documentation until I found a mention of the
> environment variable GUILE_LOAD_PATH. (is there any way to do this
> from inside Guile or from a site config file?)

>From Scheme, the variable is called %load-path. It's a list of
strings.  You can of course set it in your site config file.

> bluegreen:~> setenv GUILE_LOAD_PATH /usr/local/gnome/share/guile
> bluegreen:~> guile
> guile> (use-modules (gtk gtk))se-modules (gtk gtk))
>
> ;;; WARNING (Cannot find library libguilegtk-1.3)
> ERROR: In procedure error in expression (error "can't open library" libname):
> ERROR: can't open library "libguilegtk-1.3"
> ABORT: (misc-error)

I think there are some messages missing.  You should also get a line like

    (dlopening "libguilegtk-1.3.so" #f)

and one like

    dlopen: libguilegtk-1.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(or some variation on this).  Is that true?

- Marius