Guile-gtk and odd install paths

  Hi, I've been trying to get Guile-GTK working and I've had some problems due
to the fact that I decided to install it under /usr/local/gnome.  At first,
Guile didn't even recognize the module:

bluegreen:~> guile
guile> (use-modules (gtk gtk))
ERROR: In procedure error in expression (error "no such module" module-name):
ERROR: no such module (gtk gtk)
ABORT: (misc-error)

  I dug around in the documentation until I found a mention of the environment
variable GUILE_LOAD_PATH. (is there any way to do this from inside Guile or
from a site config file?) Setting it to /usr/local/gnome/share/guile got me:

bluegreen:~> setenv GUILE_LOAD_PATH /usr/local/gnome/share/guile
bluegreen:~> guile
guile> (use-modules (gtk gtk))se-modules (gtk gtk))

;;; WARNING (Cannot find library libguilegtk-1.3)
ERROR: In procedure error in expression (error "can't open library" libname):
ERROR: can't open library "libguilegtk-1.3"
ABORT: (misc-error)

  But libguilegtk-1.3 is installed in /usr/local/gnome/lib and ldconfig'd.

  What else do I have to do?

  Daniel

--
  Using a metaphor in front of Ridcully was like a red rag to a--was like
using something very annoying in the presence of someone who was very annoyed

              -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_