Re: The rough edges ...

> But half the things in your email are because of an incorrect setup.

I don't actually remember doing any kind of "setup" .. but you may be
right. Let's see. I installed GNOME by taking all the RPMs from the ftp
directory and install them as anyone would .. by "rpm". After I install
everything, I take everything out of my .xinitrc and put in
"gnome-session". Then I type "startx".

Okay so far? Let's briefly move over the points I mentioned:

-- Had to edit .xinitrc myself -- Yes I believe it's in the documentation.
-- Minimized applications disappear -- Yes I believe that's also true and
well discussed in this mailing list.
-- e-conf does not show up in cc -- It has been confirmed that the 1.0 RPM
is messed up.
-- Background setting is in two places -- I see it don't you?
-- The panel buttons aren't flush to the side of the screen -- yes I admit
depending on your gtk theme this will be different. But why should it? Is
it off the edge for the sole purpose of annoying people? No? Then why?
-- Programs dump core and crap out with no trace -- Have you actually seen
one that tells you it's failed and suggests you write a bug report?
-- The PPP applets do nothing -- okay I'm wrong, they execute scripts.
Where are the scripts? Oh I have to write them myself. I thought GNOME is
a GUI, with GUI applications to do these things.
-- "gnome-ppp" shows no statistics -- does yours do something different
than mine?
-- No mail or news client -- does yours have one included with your 1.0
RPMs?
-- User guide can't be found -- which 1.0 RPM has the user's guide? If I
installed all the released RPMs why won't I be able to view the users
guide?

> Most complaints I hear about gnome are ppl who didn't set it up right. If
> it's too hard for you to setup just wait for your favourite distribution to
> shrink wrap it nicely for you......

It could be that it's too difficult for me to set up. After all .. I had
to run 'rpm -Uvh *'. But then I doubt that's what you meant when you keep
talking about not setting it up right. What exactly do you mean by setting
up GNOME?