Re: The rough edges ...

hi all,

>-- Once it's up, you get a bunch of windows popping up and the panel's
>ready. Things look mildly familiar. Start a couple programs and minimize
>one. It disappears. No icon. No indication that it is still running. And
>why not? GNOME has a task list. It's part of the pager applet. Why isn't
>that applet part of the default configuration? Where is there any
>indication that you must put the applet on the panel to see this kind of
>information?

I have to second this... We have been telling people for days in efnet
#gnome to run the pager... It's a very common question...

I guess the pager might look dumb if there is a non-gnome compliant WM....

>I see a lot of good things in GNOME, but its all worthless if the many
>issues showing up don't disappear. For example, I notice that many, MANY
>programs crash. Linux is constantly touted as being the stable OS that
>never crashes and never needs a reboot. It's true. No one has said the
>same for GNOME. That's also true. But the fact that many will run GNOME on
>Linux, hence giving the impression that Linux is unstable when in fact
>only GNOME is unstable will greatly tarnish the Linux brandname. If it
>falls, many other projects will fall, including GNOME. Should not everyone
>try to live up to the good name of Linux by developing applications just
>as stable and flexible and worthy?

This is just dumb.... Expect RH 6.0 to be pretty stable according to these
standards. But half the things in your email are because of an incorrect setup.

Most complaints I hear about gnome are ppl who didn't set it up right. If
it's too hard for you to setup just wait for your favourite distribution to
shrink wrap it nicely for you...... or maybe consider purchasing some
commercial linux support from somewhere that gives the money back to
developers (like RedHat - but luckily software freedom means you can choose
support from any vendor you like), considering you got Gnome for free, give
some money back and get some "professional help" at the same time. :)

</rant off>

wayne
Wayne Schuller - BSc. (Computer Science) Network Administrator
Centre for Health Program Evaluation - Austin Repat Hospital - Heidelberg.
Web: http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/chpe/  My phone: (03) 94964448
w.schuller@gpph.unimelb.edu.au