From: Tim Lewis [mailto:talewis@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 1999 6:38 PM
To: Paul Huckaby
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: .xinitrc and root

I'm not sure what you mean by 'not working correctly', but try this:

1.  If you copied your .xinitrc to your new user's home directory, make
sure the new file you copied is owned by the new user; If not, go to the
home directory of the user and type:

chown <new_user>:<new_user> .xinitrc

where <new_user> is the name of the new user.

then type:

chmod 755 .xinitrc

2.  Make sure you have the machine name properly aliased...
Open /etc/hosts, and make sure you see:

127.0.0.1  localhost <machine_name>

if your machine is named something other than 'localhost'.  If things
are set up correctly, you should be able to ping your machine name:

ping <machine_name>

3.  Make sure /usr/share has read and execute permissions for all...
cd to /usr and  type:

ls -ld share

It should return something like 'drwxr-xr-x'.  If not, type:

chmod 755 share

then cd to share, and type:

chmod 755 *

These have been typical things stopping regular users from running
gnome-session.  Make sure .xinitrc shows only 'gnome-session'.

BTW, if you can't get sound to work, make sure you are logged in as
root, and type:

esdctl unlock

The next time you login as a regular user, sound will work.

Let me know if you are successful.

Tim