Re: The rough edges ...

On Tue, 09 Mar 1999, Stephen Rust wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Gerald Gutierrez wrote:
>>-- GNOME is supposed to be the one hot attractions to entice desktop users
>>to move to Linux. It is supposed to lure Windows users into a better
>>computing world. Since most of them have never had to edit configuration
>>files, I think making them edit their '.xinitrc' to put in gnome-session
>>is already going to put a lot of them off. Don't laugh, many will notice
>>the strange filename '.xinitrc' and it will /feel/ difficult for them to
>>install and use.
>
>Imagine having joe average user download the linux kernel or a C library,
>needing to compile it or configure it theirself.  Is that the way things
>are done today for the majority of people?  Distributions were made for
>that purpose, as it could be conceivably said that gnome will be
>preconfigured for a distribution.  Windows isn't just thrown at you in its
>various components, its packaged and configured as part of windows install
>process.  And its conceivable that gnome will be configured as part of a
>linux distribution install process.
>
>And it took Windows until like what, 3.0 to be usable?  Gnome is usable
>right now at 1.0.

Heh,  I remember the "good" old days of Windows 2.0 and 3.0....  Just hope that
Gnome doesn't follow same trend that windows did...  "Hey son,  my computer
has a General Protection fault at address 13....  What should I do"....  huh.
As long as there is never a Gnome 95 wich costs $100 to upgrade to I'll keep
using it ;-)
Peace,
Steve