Understanding gnome-session

I found in the docs on the gnome website that gnome-session should be
used to start gnome and the window manager (in this case
enlightenment).  But it seems like there is a problem with the session
manager and redhat's concept of dynamically changing the hostname to the
reverse lookup of the ppp assigned ip address.  I think I saw the end of
a thread on this, but the list archive is unsearchable and huge.  Can
someone point me to some better documentation?  Also where do the rpms
install the bulk of gnome too, I can't seem to find a directory called
"gnome".  I'm having alot of problems with gnome/enlightenment and I
want to sort out which problems are with gnome, enlightenment, or just
my configuration.  Where's all the docs?

Also, what is the alternative to using gnome-session?