Re: Understanding gnome-session

In article <36E4AB19.E4D1FE40@ina.melco.co.jp> you write:
: I found in the docs on the gnome website that gnome-session should be
: used to start gnome and the window manager (in this case
: enlightenment).  But it seems like there is a problem with the session
: manager and redhat's concept of dynamically changing the hostname to the
: reverse lookup of the ppp assigned ip address.

Hrm? Dynamically changing the hostname? You mean if you dial in and
then do "uname -n" you get something different? That's never happened
to me, not sure what you mean here.

  I think I saw the end of
: a thread on this, but the list archive is unsearchable and huge.  Can
: someone point me to some better documentation?

What's up with gnome-session is that the result of a reverse lookup
on 127.0.0.1 needs to match your hostname from "uname -n". You can do
this by editing /etc/hosts. For instance my home machine is called
"spacedog", so my /etc/hosts is:

127.0.0.1   spacedog spacedog.kiva.net localhost localhost.localdomain

After I did that gnome-session works great.

: Also where do the rpms
: install the bulk of gnome too, I can't seem to find a directory called
: "gnome".

The RPMs don't drop everything in one directory but try to follow
standards (or conventions) for the location of _each_ file. You can
see file locations by doing "rpm -ql <installed-package-name>".

: I'm having alot of problems with gnome/enlightenment and I
: want to sort out which problems are with gnome, enlightenment, or just
: my configuration.  Where's all the docs?

www.gnome.org. Sorry if that seems too vague but it really is a fairly
well-organized site. Granted the gnome-session problem isn't
documented anywhere yet but that came to light fairly recently.

	   - A