gtk+ 2.1 RPM problem..

I  successfully installed Gnome 1.0 ,using the rpms, over the weekend and
all seemed to be well.  I then tried to compile Gnome ICU (or ICQ) but it
can't find the current version of gtk+1.2.  The gtk-config file seems like
it wasn't updated when I installed the gtk+2.1 rpm.  Is there anyway to to
compile this by pointing to the correct libs from gtk+2.1.  I'm relatively
new to linux (2 weeks) and I'm ready to do away with the Windows platform.
Please help....