gdk_imlib 1.9.4 problems - NetBSD-current

So, I had this stupid idea I would give a shot at getting GNOME-1.0
built and working on my NetBSD-current system (1.3I kernel, egcs-1.01)

After a lot of head scratching and cussing, gnome-libs and gnome-core is
basically functional (along with ORBit and the other dependencies).

First off, let me make clear that I am going to be talking about
gdk_imlib and not the base imlib, which works fine per imlib_config.

That said: right now gdk_imlib does not work for me at all. It will
build and install fine, but will not grok images, period, spitting out
an error like this:

---
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/whatever.{gif,jpg,png,bmp,foo}
All fallbacks failed.
---

I dug into the gdk_imlib source and added some debugging printf's to
load.c and modules.c to see where the badness was happening. Then, when
I run the offending app once more, I get (this example shows it for a
png file):

---
modname is set to imlib-png
g_module_build_path returned /usr/local/lib/libimlib-png.so
result is NULL from g_module_open
load_fail_fn was called.
modname is set to imlib-ppm
g_module_build_path returned /usr/local/lib/libimlib-ppm.so
result is NULL from g_module_open
load_fail_fn was called.

gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-background.png
All fallbacks failed.
---

Well, I'm not too sure what I'm looking at here. Evidently, gdk_imlib is
expecting to load a support library that doesn't exist (per the return
val of g_module_return_path) -- but all of the shared libs the build
process generates are named something like 'libimlib-png.so.0.0'. I
don't have any .so$ files on my system...

The cheesy test was to just symbolic link the .so.0.0 file to .so. Doing
this then renders a nice sigsegv from g_module_open. I'm not really sure
what this proves, other than that it is really trying to do something
with the .so file (open it).

So, let's play Russian roulette here and guess which thingy is fubar'd:

- gdk_imlib needs patches to work on NetBSD-current
- the g-module functions are broken (glib, I assume?)
- png, jpeg, whatever libraries are broken or missing
- my build environment is h0s3d

The last one is least likely -- the buildtools for this iteration of
NetBSD-current are very stable and I have built the entire OS from it,
and all kinds of other stuff (KDE-1.1, for instance) with no strange
behaviors.
But, as far as that goes, I can't rule it out...

And it's not that I'm missing libraries either. I have all kinds of apps
built against the jpg, png, and gif libraries (like I said before, KDE
is one of them) that work just fine. I've checked for old libraries, but
nothing turned up.

Hopefully some poor sot out there has gotten gdk_imlib to work on NetBSD
(or maybe even has a precompiled binary I could try out)

Stumped,

--
http://spunet.dynip.com/
nverenin@spunet.dynip.com