Problems with running programs in the gnome environment

Hello,
I have a lot of problems with compiling and running
programs in the gnome 1.0 environment. For example
I tried to compile "asedit", my favourite text editor
(using LessTif, instead of the real Motif).
The created executable works fine with enlightenment, or
any other window manager. But after I have started
"gnome-session" from a xterm, I get a SIGSEGV,
when I try to execute it. After I have logged out from
gnome, it works fine again.

After that I experienced the same thing, when I tried
to compile and run "xxgdb", a small Athena widget set
wrapper for the GNU debugger. But very strange, the
simple Athena text editor "xedit", which comes with X11R6,
still works with gnome, even though it uses the same shared
libraries as "xxgdb".

After that I tried to become a member of this mailing list,
but I was unable to send the subscribe request to
"gnome-list-request@gnome.org"  (RPC problems perhaps ?).
So I was even forced to start winNT :(  to write this letter !!!!

Has anybody an idea, what this can be ?  Could it perhaps
have something to do with GDM and authentication
problems ? Any help would be appreciated