Re: GNOME on SuSE 6.0, a nightmare.

Martin Hawlisch <hawlisch@roxi.rz.fh-mannheim.de> writes:

|   zlib caused a problem because SuSE installs the lib into
|   /usr/X11R6/lib, I don`t know why, and the config-stuff and Makefiles
|   couldn't find it because when linking -lz the Makefile and
|   configure-script didn't add -L/usr/X11R6/lib and zlib was not found.

Unfortunately, this is for historical reasons; one figured out, normally
there is no problem to configure and compile tar.gz files from
ftp.gnome.org; I do my very best to spot difficulties and Miguel and
friends are helpful to take care of it.

Of course, if one of these GNOME packages requires a newer than new tool
or toolkit, you've to install it.  automake 1.4 e.g., is newer
(1999-01-14) than the release date of SuSE Linux 6.0... not to mention
gtk 1.2.  If _evaluated_ these package will find there way into the SuSE
distro -- but not sooner ;-) As you all know, I hope, SuSE Linux is
little bit conservative (the keyword is: stability).

|   So my questions is: What is causing the black icon problem? Should I
|   try libpng 1.0.0 ??

I don't know.  All my testing was done with 1.0.1 and this works quite
well.  No problems with icons (I perform by tests in most cases with
16bpp).

|   Btw, I used CVS GNOME from yesterday.

Okay, I've only tested the 1.0 (pre) serie.

--
Karl Eichwalder