Re: GNOME on SuSE 6.0, a nightmare.

You have given the answear yourself, use something like this (taken from
my spec-files):

export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/gnome/bin
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I/opt/gnome/share/aclocal"
if [ ! -f configure ]; then
  CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R6/lib" \
  CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./ --prefix=%prefix
  CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R6/lib" \
  CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./configure --prefix=%prefix

Then configure will find libpng, libz and co and everything should work
Gnome 1.0 will be available from my site and mirrors propably
tommorrow morning.
After that there will be a clean-up period where the remaining SuSE
specific problems
and adaptions will be worked on.