Re: GNOME on SuSE 6.0, a nightmare.

You have given the answear yourself, use something like this (taken from
my spec-files):

export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/gnome/bin
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I/opt/gnome/share/aclocal"
if [ ! -f configure ]; then
  CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R6/lib" \
  CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./autogen.sh --prefix=%prefix
else
  CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R6/lib" \
  CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./configure --prefix=%prefix
fi

Then configure will find libpng, libz and co and everything should work
fine.
Gnome 1.0 will be available from my site
http://ifmpc118.ifm.uni-hamburg.de/gnome.html and mirrors propably
tommorrow morning.
After that there will be a clean-up period where the remaining SuSE
specific problems
and adaptions will be worked on.

Jan