GNOME on SuSE 6.0, a nightmare.

The last hours I spent installing GNOME on my brothers PC. His box is
running SuSE 6.0, and that was the beginning of a problem.

I has to install new versions of automake, autoconf and libtool. no
problem.

Libpng 1.0.2 needed to be replaced. So I installed the 1.0.3 RPMs from
Jan's "GNOME for SuSE" page.

zlib caused a problem because SuSE installs the lib into /usr/X11R6/lib, I
don`t know why, and the config-stuff and Makefiles couldn't find it
because when linking -lz the Makefile and configure-script didn't add
-L/usr/X11R6/lib and zlib was not found.
OK, i solved the problem after a while.

After spending hours turning the SuSE box into a mor ore less GNOME-aware
state I finally got GNOME running - showing black background at all the
icons.

So my questions is: What is causing the black icon problem? Should I try
libpng 1.0.0 ??

Btw, I used CVS GNOME from yesterday.

Oh, I'm running a current DEBIAN potato and do not have problems in
compiling GNOME. And the icons are transparent (using libpng 1.0.0).

For now I have to say GNOME rocks, DEBIAN forever, and SuSE sucks!

Cheers, Martin.

 http://freddy.rz.fh-mannheim.de/~hawlisch/index.html
       mailto:hawlisch@roxi.rz.fh-mannheim.de