Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> That's because Gnome has more features. It has Imlib, esound, and ORBit;
> those are the three required packages that have no KDE analogue in the

Not true.

> release you're talking about. (KOffice uses Mico, but AFAIK it isn't part
> of the base system.)
> The base Gnome system:
> glib, gtk        ( == Qt)
> Imlib
> ORBit
> esound
> gnome-libs       ( == kdelibs)

I don't know about ORBit/Mico. Anyway. KDE's imlib and esound equivalents
are in, I think, kdesupport. The advantage is you really don't need a
zillion packages to install KDE.

> gnome-core, control-center and gmc are especially important applications,
> gnome-utils probably important too.

there is kdecore. control-center is included in the kdecore, as are a
windowm manager and kfm (the gmc equivalent). Then again, kde has been
around longer, so it's natural that they have a lead.

Nils

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"