Re: gdm submission

On 2 Mar 1999, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

>  Todd> Would the authors of gdm be amenable to a patch which would
>  Todd> rebooted my Linux box by accident, and so I now have to write
>  Todd> the proggie to mimic this behaviour, less I continue to lose
>  Todd> our office uptime competitions. 8^)
>
> First off, I think that this sort of brokenness should not go into gdm
> by default. Are there any reasons for this very /intuitive/ key-combo
> apart from "NT is doing it"? I wonder on what kind of stuff the NT
> guys were on, when they thought of this.

A secure attention key(-combination) is required for C2, I believe.

(Unless it has broken itself), NT guarantees to give you a login or
"logout/lock screen/task manager/etc" thing which is _not a trojan_
when you give it the TFS..

Also - CAD to login is not a bad thing to enforce.  However, SAK on
that sort of level can't really be done udner Unix without some major
major layering violations...

> Now, on the constructive side:
> For X windows, C-A-D is just a normal key-gesture, so binding it to any
> action should work in the more sane applicatons. gdm may still miss some
> code to do exactly what you want. This general functionality will be
> useful to everyone, and will be included gladly, I think.

I'd have thought that it would be better as a window manager feature
(icewm can already do some of this).

Matthew.