Re: gdm submission

Hi,

>>>>> On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:59:40 -0500 (EST)
>>>>> Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.net> said:

 Todd> Would the authors of gdm be amenable to a patch which would
 Todd> rebooted my Linux box by accident, and so I now have to write
 Todd> the proggie to mimic this behaviour, less I continue to lose
 Todd> our office uptime competitions. 8^)

First off, I think that this sort of brokenness should not go into gdm
by default. Are there any reasons for this very /intuitive/ key-combo
apart from "NT is doing it"? I wonder on what kind of stuff the NT
guys were on, when they thought of this.

Now, on the constructive side:

Linux should by default ignore C-A-D when in raw mode (e.g. X
windows). Are you using a vanilla kernel?

You can make Linux ignore C-A-D always by changing your loadkeys
setup, or by modifying inittab. Set the ctrlaltdel entry to something
appropriate (or remove it).

For X windows, C-A-D is just a normal key-gesture, so binding it
to any action should work in the more sane applicatons. gdm may still
miss some code to do exactly what you want. This general functionality
will be useful to everyone, and will be included gladly, I think.

        Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>