Audiofile library -endedness problems?

Hi,

Am I right that libaudiofile still has a problem with byte-endedness that means
that esd can't handle 16-bit WAV samples still?

This is the reason people using Solaris on SPARC, etc, can't get sound out of
Enlightenment and Gnome, yes?

Someone said that this had been broken fairly recently, and I've been watching
the Audiofile ChangeLog over at http://gdev.net/changelogs/audiofile.html - but
so far I've seen no sign of a fix, and the last time I tried to grab a new
version and compiled it, the resulting library crashed out =O(

Any news on this?  Especially whether it'll get fixed in time for everything
getting released?

And have any SPARC users had any luck getting this to work, other than by
winding down to 8-bit samples?

Ta,

Mark.