Re: Quite a few questions...

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Spud wrote:
> 1) I am trying to compile gnome-objc, both v 99.8 and 1.00pre (by the way,
> why are all the 1.0pre sources gone from GNOME ftp?). Anyway, I get told
> that it can't find an Objective C compiler. I am using Slackware 3.6, i have
> latest versions of gcc, egcs, and egcsobjc installed. I don't know what to
> do!! Is gnome-objc something that is required for GNOME to run?

hmm.  try grabbing egcs 1.1.1 tgz and make/install with a default configure
line.  yes, it'll take a while.

> 2) I installed libgtop-1.00 and then tried compiling libgtop-bindings-99.2.
> Expectedly, it didn't compile. Said it expected libgtop version 1.0, or
> 1.1.x, but found 1.2...anyway, I can't find a libgtop-bindings-1.00 or a
> gtop 1.00 anywhere. Arrrg.

check libgtop and libgtop-bindings out of cvs:

  export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome
  cd /usr/local/src/gnome

/
.  cvs -z3 checkout libgtop libgtop-bindings
.  cd libgtop
.  (edit macros/autogen.sh and goto line 137, comment it out)
.  autogen.sh
.  make
.  make install
.  ldconfig
.  cd ..
\

^.... repeat for libgtop-bindings

if the rest of your system, i.e. cvs, auto*, etc is setup correctly, this
should work for you.

> 3) Here is for a completely GNOME unrelated question...i hope you guys don't
> mind. using the default kernel 2.0.35 that came with slack 3.6, I found an
> ANSI font (t.fnt) that displayed my ANSI characters find (upper ANSI, more
> specifically; like in BitchX). After booting my new 2.2.2 kernel, the same
> exact font won't display upper ANSI characters. Did i leave something out of
> the kernel? Can someone help?

hrmm....i can't answer that off the top of my head.  i'd suspect a buglette
in the setfont package tho.

-d
--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux