Re: Some things GNOME really needs

On 28 Jun, Alan Shutko wrote:
+-----
| Robert Roeser <roeser@engr.orst.edu> writes:
| > What about solaris, or HP-UX, Darwin, etc? Gnome is suppose to be running
| > on all the se platforms one day? Can you install RPMS on to them?
|
| but you can install rpm on pretty much any Unix machine.  I think I've
| seen Sun freeware archives with RPMs.
+--->8

Let me put it this way:  not a chance in Hell.

Yes, there are Sun freeware archives with RPMs.  Who uses them?  Geeks.
Geeks who aren't interested in your silly GUI.

The ones who would use GNOME aren't going to install a new package
manager, and jump through all the hoops needed to get RPM to actually
behave semi-sanely on systems not *installed* via RPM, in order to
install it.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu