New Panel...

I was playing with libglade (very cool stuff) over the weekend and made a
panel applet that could take read in its interface from a glade file...
Well, I was playing around with it, putting different kinds of widgets in
the applet. Then I tried putting a gnome dock widget in it with a fiew dock
items... When I saw the result, my jaw dropped. Suddenly (confined to the
applet space) was what looked like an improved panel. The dock items were
free to move up/down left/right, instead of just the left/right of the
panel... They could even be torn off. Then it really hit me. Rewrite the
panel to use a panel widget based on the gnome dock. Well, being a c coder
in training, I figured I would try to write a small example of it. I kinda
did. Its not perfect, but its a start. Kinda a proof of concept.

To try it, run make. If you have libglade on your box, there is a libglade
based test applet that you can play with to see the true power of the panel.
To get the libglade ver, type "make libglade-test-applet". To play with it,
start the window panel, "./window-panel &". It spits out its IOR. Copy the
IOR and hand it as the first argument to the test-applet. "./test-applet IOR
&". You can start the test-applet as many times as you want... Play, Have
fun, whatever.... :)

newpanel.tar.gz