Re: Some things GNOME really needs

Robert Roeser <roeser@engr.orst.edu> writes:

> What about solaris, or HP-UX, Darwin, etc? Gnome is suppose to be running
> on all the se platforms one day? Can you install RPMS on to them?

I don't know about Darwin (some codename I must not have heard of?),
but you can install rpm on pretty much any Unix machine.  I think I've
seen Sun freeware archives with RPMs.

> Secondly the end user, imagine someone who has never used before is
> goign to install RPM on there system?

End users for Solaris and other commercial Unix boxes are quite
different from the average Linux end-user.  The average commercial
Unix end-user won't install anything at all.  (Probably wouldn't have
disk space available to install it, anyway.)  The sysadmin, though,
can easily install RPM, or can install it using whatever pathetic
broken packaging system the system came with.  Or, they could compile
it from source.

There are very few non-Unix literate home users with Solaris boxes.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - Looking for a job in Long Island!
Check http://rescomp.wustl.edu/~ats/ for a resume.