Re: Getting a PPP Connection

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, terrapin wrote:

> There is a Modem Lights Applet 1.0.2 that comes with Gnome. You can start
> and stop connections and get lights, a little graph and other information about
> your connection if you have set up your PPP with linuxconf.

It's what I use. Apparently, it also works if you have set up your PPP
with RedHat's netcfg, since I didn't know I could setup PPP with linux
conf.:)

> GnomeFoot->Panel->Add applet->Network->Modem lights
> When you get it on the panel, left click it to bring up properties.
> Change the commands to:
>      /usr/sbin/usernetctl ppp0 up
>      /usr/sbin/usernetctl ppp0 down

Fair enough. I've just got
/sbin/ifup ppp0
/sbin/ifdown ppp0

I also had to setup the Modem Lock File correctly too.
(I guess since it doesn't dial with /dev/modem)

> BTW, you can get updated Gnome rpm's for RH6 from:
> ftp://ftp.inconnect.com/pub/unix/linux/redhat-6.0/contrib-updates/

Thanks. I'll see what I can grab..

Tim Allen