Re: Getting a PPP Connection

Hi,

There is a Modem Lights Applet 1.0.2 that comes with Gnome. You can start
and stop connections and get lights, a little graph and other information about
your connection if you have set up your PPP with linuxconf.

In a terminal as root, type: linuxconf
Control->Control files and systems->Configure file permission and
ownership->
<accept>
Scroll down to /usr/sbin/pppd and make sure "Setuid flag" is set.

GnomeFoot->Panel->Add applet->Network->Modem lights
When you get it on the panel, left click it to bring up properties. Change the commands to:
     /usr/sbin/usernetctl ppp0 up
     /usr/sbin/usernetctl ppp0 down

BTW, you can get updated Gnome rpm's for RH6 from:
ftp://ftp.inconnect.com/pub/unix/linux/redhat-6.0/contrib-updates/
I download them all (except xxx.devel) into one special directory and log out.
Log back in on RH splash screen as root to <option> <failsafe> . This will
open a terminal window. If you do them as a bunch, they look after
dependencies for you.
     rpm -Uvh ~//directory_you_used/*rpm
If it complains about dependencies with xxx.devel do:
     rpm -e xxx.devel
     rpm -Uvh ~//directory_you_used/*rpm
Type "exit" to get back to RH splash screen.

Good luck.
PS I hope you are not offended by the "newbie" style of instructions. I'm never
sure how much the poster knows. I'm a newbie myself.