gnome doesn't start anymore

I use redhat 6.0 on a 166 Mhz (intel pentium)
every thing was fine with the system until i upgrade these file:gtk+ and
glib
............then I logout (root) to go in another user
the login screen appears
I enter my login and my password and press login
normally when we enter in gnome we see enlightement with the loading
but me it stop before i see this and return in the login screen
i try it several time always the same result
i also try do press option reboot but it doesn't reboot it try to start
gnome but return to the login screen with no message
it's a kind of loop
if somebody can help with this i'll be happy cause i'm not able to enter in
the os anymore