Re: Writing Tool

On 20 Jun, Robin Miller wrote:

> No offense, emacs and vi devotees, but I can't think of but
> two or three journalists, other than a few
> computer-specialty writers, in the entire Washington area
> who wouldn't run screaming at the sight of a UNIX command or
> almost any other command line, so neither of your beloved
> editors are really suited for this marketplace.

It is my understanding that, at least here in the New York area, many
journalists/editors used to use (and maybe some still use) the DOS
editor XyWrite.  (Emacs might be described as "XyWrite on steroids."
:) )  While most probably now use Word, I'm not sure that means they
would "run screaming" at the sight of a command line.

For example, at the magazine for which I work, we switched over to Word
a few years ago.  But I know several editors here who would much rather
use XyWrite (or Emacs) than Word.  (This opinion is decidedly not
unanimous, however.)  We use Word mostly for its annotation and revision
capabilities, and because it is the "standard" word processor.
Otherwise, it is really "overkill."

rpell@ix.netcom.com