Re: Text processor

On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 04:58:28PM +0100, Paul Barnfather wrote:
> Robin Miller wrote:
>
> > Right now, I repeat, there is not a single decent text/HTML
> > writing program for Linux.
>
> Or Unix, even ;-)

I use XEmac's html editing mode, which is the best of anything I've
tried but which requires a pretty hefty installation of XEmacs, and
which isn't exactly transparent in useage.  And I use Maxwell for a wp
in Linux.

> I'm a non-programmer GNOME user. Currently, the only reason I need
> to drop back to Windoze is for HTML page development. OK, so it's
> not book writing, but even this seems to be unduly "difficult" (can
> I say that?) with many of the available editors.
>
> GXedit actually works well for me (no crashes yet), but the lack of
> usable syntax highlighting is a definite problem.
>
> vi is OK, but I like to work with a GUI. I have tried to use Emacs,
> but I must be thick or something, because I just don't "get" it.

Try XEmacs, which will now compile with the same png that Gnome is
using.  It has mouseable menus and an internal www browser.

> The *must* be a suitable editor out there somewhere!

I've looked.  XEmacs is, at this point, the best I found for the html
and Maxwell is the best for straight GPL'ed wp, though I haven't tried
the very latest rivals.

In the past, I've urged someone to work on a simple wp -- an rtf or xml
basic file with html sounds really good.  We wp users obvious don't
program:).

But the programmers would have lots of testers.  Very verbal ones, too.

--
Rebecca Ore