Re: Text processor

Paul Barnfather wrote:
> Robin Miller wrote:
>
> > Right now, I repeat, there is not a single decent text/HTML
> > writing program for Linux.
There is probably not one decent text/html editor anywhere.

[snip]
> I'm a non-programmer GNOME user. Currently, the only reason I need
> to drop back to Windoze is for HTML page development. OK, so it's
> not book writing, but even this seems to be unduly "difficult" (can
> I say that?) with many of the available editors.
What tools do you use for "HTML page development" on Windows?
All (at least the ones I have used) those WYSIWYG (braindead
concept for HTML btw) produce crappy HTML and therefore aren't
suitable. I use Emacs or Jed when I login remotely.

[snip]
> vi is OK, but I like to work with a GUI. I have tried to use Emacs,
> but I must be thick or something, because I just don't "get" it.
I don't get VI :-). Emacs is indeed an editor by programmers
for programmers. Effeciency and power coupled. I don't want
to reach for the mouse to switch buffer. Incidently I don't
get all those Visual (\w)+ either.

> The *must* be a suitable editor out there somewhere!
[snip]
I think there is a need to refocus and change the work process.
If you are a writer you should (IMHO) focus on content and when
that stage is finished do the presentation. I.e. you don't think
"this should be 12 pts Arial italic" when you are writing for
both print and WWW as I think Robin Miller did. Italic doesn't
exist if you are blind so therefore mixing such information into
the actual content of an article is wrong. Btw, doesn't an
editor (or whomever) do the presentation and not the writers
themselves?

Anyway. I could rant about this for hours, but I will save you
all from that. Maybe DocZilla is something you could use? It
is still very beta, but it goals seems to be close to mine at
least.

 /mill

http://www.doczilla.com  based on Mozilla

# S-mail: Olof Oberg     #  mill@pedgr571.sn.umu.se         #