Don't overlook Simplicity.

The simple fact about average desktop users (those who need everything
spoon fed to them) is that anything that takes more than 4 or 5 clicks
or any typing to do is too hard for them.  For instance, I'm on a Win98
machine right now (don't shoot me yet, I've got my own gun here if I
feel the MS probes enter my ear lobes).  It allows a user to get online
with 2 clicks, and the initial setup does a lot of the config work.
When I first got linux (Caldera distribution, though I'm ordering the RH
6.0) I had to write my own dial up program.  That's fine for me, but
most people I know who ask me for help can't even remember their
processor speed.  One guy even asked why his 200 Mhz was only
downloading at 3K. :(

There are some great ideas out there for advanced level features, but if
you want to crack the home users, you have to combine advanced features
with "Dummy Safe" features.  When a newbie uses Linux, he's looking for
the icon that will start his browser, which will auto connect him to the
net, get his e-mail, and cook his dinner.  They don't care which drag
and drop scheme they are accessing.  He/she wants a system that can
answer its own questions, and won't bother him/her for initialization
strings, custom configs, or even to ask if he wants hot or mild on his
burritos (mmmm, fooood...).  We already have graphical interfaces (I'm
partial to KDE).  What we have to keep in mind is the real benefit for
the GNOME project.  Sure, the spicy programming environment,
compatability, and security are key issues, but if it can give the
average user (read: non-geek or one who does not know how to count to
100 in hex) an experience that makes Windows look like operating a pile
driver, then we've really openned up the door for OS freedom.  Remember,
not everyone has the freedom to use Linux unless it is presented in a
way they understand.  Otherwise, it's like saying everyone has the
freedom learn quantum mechanics.

"That's just my opinion.  I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Desert Rain
http://desert.fortress2.com (hmm, I should think about updating more
than every 2 months)
comp.sci.edu/costs/me/too_much.html