Re: can't logout from gnome-session

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Terrapin wrote:

->>Sometimes, waiting a while will actually do the job. Sometimes (don't ask
->>me why) clicking on the desktop triggers shutdown.
->>Most times, if Gnome freezes when you click logout, type "save-session
->>--kill" in an xterm, and that'll fix it.
->
->I've rarely had Gnome freeze. Just the failure to log out. I can keep
->using Gnome. To log out, I open a console and shutdown  :-(

That's what I meant by freeze. Gnome rarely ceases to respond
altogether. I meant the failure to log out. Sorry. But save-session --kill
will close gnome in this eventuality. Doing a shutdown from gnome kills it
without giving it a chance to save settings, which isn't a polite thing to
do. Try save-session --kill, you won't risk corrupting gnome by shutting
down abrubtly.

->I have core 1.0.5-2  and libs 1.0.10-2 from:
->ftp://ftp.inconnect.com/pub/unix/linux/redhat-6.0/contrib-updates/
->I'm assuming this is the best place to get the latest RPM's.

The best place I've come across. If you want bleeding edge though, you
either install from tarball or delve into CVS. Core's now up to 1.0.6, but
I'm sure it'll be up there in rpm format pretty soon if you're patient.

Tom.
   | Tom Gilbert, England                        pingu@linuxfreak.com |
   | www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk    tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
   | Sites to Visit:                |    .~.                          |
   |     www.freshmeat.net          |    /V\        L  I  N  U  X     |
   |     www.gnome.org              |   // \\   >Beware the Penguin<  |
   |     www.enlightenment.org      |  /(   )\                        |
   |     themes.org                 |   ^^-^^      www.linux.com      |