Re: File manager tree. [FEATURE REQUEST]

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 05:01:41PM -0400, Andrew B. Arthur wrote:
> >From: Cory Watson <gphat@mail.cafes.net>
>
> > Coming in lte on this conversation, I may be mistaken, but are we
> > discussing what should be shown in the path view?  Why gussy it up with
> > file:// blah blah blah, why not give the user straight paths?
> > /home/joeblow, then they really know where they are
>
> That might be the most sensible thing to do, but then again maybe it would
> be better to just leave the URL bar of to minimize confusion. Since the idea
> is to maximize simplify, maybe a Window with simple menus and just the file
> listing would be most efficient.
>
> I understand that f*ing with URLs is a bad confusing thing, so it might be
> best to just leave from the Newbies eyes.

I think if you're unsure of a feature, make it an option, make the defaults
fit for newbies, yes, but why leave the feature out?

I think this applies to all projects. If someone requests a feature, don't
turn it down because you or someone else won't like it. Rather just make it an
option, unless of course it's really not worth all the trouble :)

Remember, one of the great features of linux and free software is it's
configurability. I bet it's one of the greater reasons that you use linux, but
unfortunately it's a bit out of reach to those that don't hack at sources
every day of their lives. Think how much you enjoy being able to change small
details. Non-hackers using the software also like the ability to modify the
behaviour of a program

- S
Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee
 "The End is near." -- http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/7771/666.htm