Font incompatibilities in RedHat 6 default gnome installation?

Okay, I'm not sure if this has been asked or hashed over here yet, or at
all, or even if it's quite the right place. <g> I attempted to go over
the archives to find any notice of this occurrence, but I could not find
any, and since there is no search feature on those archives, I couldn't
be sure I missed any either.

I've got Debian and RedHat running dual boot on this system, (comparing
the two before I make a final decision on either for the long term), and
since with RedHat you can install gnome right off the bat, and it sets
it up for use itself, I have it running fully on that install currently,
while I'm still building the debian system in order to get it up and
running.

However, using gnome-terminal under RedHat, I've found that it doesn't
seem to want to work properly with any fonts that *should* display high
ascii characters (ie, those ones used in such things as BX, or fancy
bash prompts, etc to create the seamless boxed looks et al). I've tried
various ones that allegedly should work, and do work on other systems
under other terminals, however all they seem to accomplish in
gnome-terminal is too slightly bold the characters and produce slightly
more vibrant colours. =) The high ascii characters still display
erroneously as A's and U's with tilde's and so on.

Am I missing something here? Has anybody gotten this to work properly,
and if so, how?

--
Mark Waterous
mark@revision3.com