Re: ANNOUNCE: gnomba 0.1

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, James Henstridge wrote:

> Another way of locating machines would be to talk to the WINS naming
> server.  Most networks that have many windows boxes talking netbios over
> TCP (the system administrator usually puts one in when the amount
> broadcast packets gets too high).  It maps SMB names to IP addresses. I
> don't know if you can ask it to give you its complete database (if it
> could do that, you might set up a robust backup wins server running on a
> non NT box :).

yeah, a WINS server is cool for that.  Part of our "environment" however
was that we had little control over what other people did, or what the
network admins did, so we wanted it to work without these things.

However using WINS is, like using netbui broadcasts, on our todo list now,
thanks
> I haven't looked at the speed differences, but it may be quicker to do a
> number of wins queries might be faster than pinging all machines in an IP
> range.
oh probably, but why do things the easy way :)

thanks
-chris

Christopher Rogers      http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf
gandalf@pobox.com       gandalf@darkcorner.net