Re: when starting GNOME, message..

Nils Philippsen wrote:

> You both want to run gnome-session (and nothing else btw -- it takes care
> of window managers, name-services and the like). It's the "official" way
> to run gnome (and gives you session management, too).

Okay, I took your advice. I had to play around with it a little
to get it to sort of work. I ended up deleteing all my
.gnome-related directories to get a clean session/windowmanager
pref.

My .xsession file has only the line exec gnome-session in it. I
started up X but enlightenment kept coming up. I figured out that
I had to add my own windowmaker to the window manager preferences
because the default wasn't working. WindowMaker came up and I had
a panel!!! So I decided to log out, so I did so from the panel.
upon restarting X, I have the panel, but no window manager. Well
I have something, but there are no titlebars, handles, borders
around my windows.

So I check my .xsession-errors file and this is at the end:

** WARNING **: Could not get name service!

** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 606 (real_goad_server_activate):
assertion failed
: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...
in capplet_widget_state_changed
        changing state
in capplet_widget_state_changed
in capplet_widget_state_changed
        changing state
in capplet_widget_state_changed
in capplet_widget_state_changed
        changing state
in capplet_widget_state_changed
in capplet_widget_state_changed

There is some other stuff that has to do with sound and not being
able to access /dev/dsp, but that's okay (is it?), cuz I don;t
have a sound card installed yet. I thought I'd remove the esound
package, but it's needed by some gnome library.

Am I doing something wrong here? CAn someone point me to some
docs on how to fix this?

tia
--
                                     __   _