Re: ANNOUNCE: gnomba 0.1

Another way of locating machines would be to talk to the WINS naming
server.  Most networks that have many windows boxes talking netbios over
TCP (the system administrator usually puts one in when the amount
broadcast packets gets too high).  It maps SMB names to IP addresses. I
don't know if you can ask it to give you its complete database (if it
could do that, you might set up a robust backup wins server running on a
non NT box :).

I haven't looked at the speed differences, but it may be quicker to do a
number of wins queries might be faster than pinging all machines in an IP
range.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au