Re: updates

* jack wallen, jr (jlwallen@iglou.com) [990724 21:59]:
> i'm sorry to keep harping on this...but i'm just stumped.  (and yes, i've
> read the man page ;-) )
>
> i dl'd the following (onto an out of the box Red Hat 6.0)
>
> glib, gtk+ libgtop, gnome-libs, gnome-core, control-center, gnome-print,
> and mc - the the latest releases from
> ftp.gurulabs.com/pub/gnome/contrib-rpms  --- thank you kindly for the url
> by the way
>
> now i run (as root) rpm -Uvh *.rpm  (in the 'rpms' directory i created for
> this) and i am getting that same error
>
> gnome-core = 1.0.4 is needed by gnome-core-devel-1.0.4-34
>
> and so on.  now, i understand the dependency aspect - but in order to get
> past this i am going to have to find all of the releases that the install
> is looking for?  so i'll need
>
> libxml >= 1.4
yes
> libxml.so.1
sorted by the above
> gtk+ 1.2.1
yes
> gnome-core 1.0.4
NO!
> gnome-libs 1.0.8
yes

> now what is odd is that gnome-core-1.0.4-34 is shipped with red hat...so,
> theoretically speaking, shouldn't that already be present?
>
> i'm horribly sorry if i'm annoying anyone - yes, i'm a newbie (so i'm
> finding out) but Red Hat is my only OS and I find these lists to be rather
> great learning grounds.
>
> thank you, anyone, for your time and trouble.

Gnome-core 1.0.7 depends on at least gnome-libs 1.0.8, so you will
need to d/l the latest libs.

You do not need core 1.0.4, this is what you already have! The
complaint if *from* gnome-core-devel 1.04, which needs
gnome-core-1.04 and doesn't like you removing it by upgrading to 1.0.7.
If you upgrade one, you must upgrade both. A devel package must match the
version number of its companion package.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |