Where has my little Gnome gone?

Once upon a time I installed a clean installation of Red Hat 6.0.
Gnome appeared as my default x environment. But after switching to
Afterstep as an experiment I was unable to return to Gnome as root  a
su account, although I am able to do so with my non-root account.

If I use "startx" or "startx gnome" I am now (after the installation
of Window Maker) now booted into Window Maker.

If I run switchdesk from another environment - KDE, Aftrerstep or
whatever, I can select Gnome from the options offered and a message
appears telling me that I must retstart for the changes to take
effect.

But if  I restart I'm taken back into the previous environment and
cannot start up Gnome.

I have read that there were some bugs with Gmone in the distrib that
came with Red Hat 6.0, so I have upgraded to gnome-core-1.0.7-2.i386
but this has made no difference.

Any ideas welcome. I'm a novice Unix user of two weeks and there
could well be a simple solution that I am unaware of. BTW, I have
made no changes to any config file since installing RH6.

--
Ian Geldard
London, England

PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0x07CB87A6