changing gdm properties

Hi Everyone

When I had 5.2 installed, I used XDM with some neat trickery to create a
nice looking login screen. Now that I've upgraded to 6.0, though, it's
been replaced with what i assume is gdm. I like that there is now a choice
of environment at startup, and that I can shutdown the machine, all from the
login prompt.

The problem is, it looks like crap on my login screen. Can anyone tell me
if there is a way to change the appearance and position of the login box?
Essentially, all I want is everything to be black, except for the two
entries and the two buttons, and the text should be white. This will allow
it to appear as if there is no box at all, which is what I'm looking for.
In the past I used /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources to control this, but it doesn't
appear to have any effect on the login box for gdm.

Thanks for any help

...Mike