Re: Viruses

Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> (rpm can do other
> stuff, too, like run ldconfig.  I'm not sure how careful it is about
> what a package can ask it to do, so there's a potential loophole, I
> suppose.)

There's the rub.  RPM pre and post install/uninstall scripts can do
anything they want.  It's not obvious to me how one would look at
those scripts when getting a package, though I assume you could
rpm2cpio it and look.  But not many people are going to do that, so
it's a vulnerability.  (You can turn off those scripts with
--notriggers... anyone know how to look the script while it's in the
rpm?)

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - Looking for a job in Long Island!
Check http://rescomp.wustl.edu/~ats/ for a resume.