Re: strange session management stuff

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 07:37:33PM +0100, Michael ROGERS wrote:

> >Worse is that it doesn't remember which desktop/LA a task's window should
> >come back on. [snip]
> >Admittedly session-aware apps can do this themselves, but not all areas are
> >covered as well by GNOME session apps as by not yet.
>
> I agree, session management isn't much use if it just restarts apps in their
> default states and in the wrong place. However, once programmers start making
> use of it in their applications, I think we'll wonder how we ever lived
> without it.  :)

Oh, I'm sure. It'll become a lot more like teleporting ... :)

> >Incidentally, is it possible for gnome-terminal to remember the command it
> >was run with? I'd like to have it pop up an ssh into another machine, but I
> >can't persuade it to do this ...
>
> It would be nice if Miguel took a lead with session management and made
> gnome-terminal session aware (saving the scrollback buffer and the pwd, for
> example). I think you might also require ssh to be session aware, though?

I think generally it'd probably require some interaction with whatever
command gnome-terminal was told to run, or the shell or whatever. Saving
shell state would be quite cool, actually ... don't know if one of the newer
shells might be hackable to do something along those lines.

I guess the relevant program would need to talk CORBA to gnome-terminal, so
that when gnome-terminal itself saved state it could add state for the
program it was running.

ssh in particular could have that level of support hacked into either psst
or ssh; or we could use a windowed ssh client.

> >Incidentally, gnomecc says that "Startup programs" configures "which
> >non-session aware programs are started up" - then lists lots of GNOME
> >things, such as gnomecc, gmc etc. Why aren't these session-aware? Or is it
> >just lying? :)
>
> I guess it's lying.  :)

Yeah, that's more or less what I guessed :-)

James

  James Aylett                                           www.zap.uk.eu.org
  james@tartarus.org                                    www.footlights.org