Re: strange session management stuff

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, James Aylett wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 07:37:33PM +0100, Michael ROGERS wrote:

> > It would be nice if Miguel took a lead with session management and made
> > gnome-terminal session aware (saving the scrollback buffer and the pwd, for
> > example). I think you might also require ssh to be session aware, though?
>
> I think generally it'd probably require some interaction with whatever
> command gnome-terminal was told to run, or the shell or whatever. Saving
> shell state would be quite cool, actually ...

Yeah, I thought that.

> I guess the relevant program would need to talk CORBA to gnome-terminal, so
> that when gnome-terminal itself saved state it could add state for the
> program it was running.

I suspect that the Right Way to do it is to have gnome-terminal act as a
private session-manager for the program it is running (eg. bash), and to
make the shells session-aware.  Of course this means making the shells
dependant on some X libraries (SMlib, ICElib), which in general would be a
Bad Thing, I suspect. I might try hacking it for my own personal
entertainment though.

yours,

Paul