Re: esd eats 25% cpu?

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 05:18:22PM +1000, Tony Keating wrote:
> Anyone else have this problem?
> When I run "esd &" it eats around 25% of the cpu. I compiled into into an
> RPM from the esound-0.2.7.tar.gz file. Is the CVS version fixed?
>
> Tony.

I have the same problem and reported it to the list a few months ago.
It seems to be something specific to our systems. What soundcard are you
using? Mine is a Creative ViBRA16X PnP.

The delay is there the moment esd is running. It is not that esd is
stealing cycles. strace shows that esd is sleeping while waiting for
some input to process. Most likely it's something with the hardware.

Starting esd with the option -nobeeps helps, but after playing some
sound, the delay is there again.
Running esd through gdb, putting a breakpoint at a certain point
(right after the startup beeps I think), and continuing from there,
the delay is absent as well. So it might be possible to solve this
problem.

Please tell me what soundcard you are using. And maybe other people
can test for a delay as well. It is NOT a delay caused by esd playing
sounds. esd is just doing nothing but the system slows down.

Ronald