Re: some comments on gmc

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > ** There is no way to completely quit gmc without an "skill gmc".
>
> Should we add one?  thing is: the file manager also controls the
> desktop.

For one thing, there are times when one wants to completely get rid of
a running program, as opposed to just not wanting the window.  GMC
shouldn't make it challenging to end its process.

Another thing, now that we have good DND and CORBA support, I think it
makes sense to split the two (obviously not for 1.0), perhaps into a
gmc and a gmc-desktop.  It would allow the two separate concepts
(file management and desktop management) to be handled independantly for
those who want to keep them separate.  It should also make maintenance
easier, since as it stands now a bug in either takes both sections out
(Yes, I remember I owe you that gmc bug report, I will be at that machine
on monday).  It would also make it easier for people to use alternate file
managers, since they could still get the desktop without having to run gmc
itself.

Thanks,
-Gleef