Re: some comments on gmc

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Gleef wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> >
> > > ** There is no way to completely quit gmc without an "skill gmc".
> >
> > Should we add one?  thing is: the file manager also controls the
> > desktop.
>
> Another thing, now that we have good DND and CORBA support, I think it
> makes sense to split the two (obviously not for 1.0), perhaps into a
> gmc and a gmc-desktop.  It would allow the two separate concepts
> (file management and desktop management) to be handled independantly for
> those who want to keep them separate.  It should also make maintenance
> easier, since as it stands now a bug in either takes both sections out

I can't agree with this more, the desktop and gmc should be split up, one
of the biggest turn-offs of KDE to me was the fact that they did the
window style "the file browser is the UI"  now I know that they are fairly
seperate in Gnome, but I think it should be complete, gmc should just be
another app, and not have control of other aspects of the environment
(such as the desktop)

-chris