Re: Installing GLIB, GTK from tars

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Kiwi Pete ( Peter Cague ) wrote:
> Hi

Hello...

> I see in the doc's that one need a couple of version of these files
> at this time. If I hace doing this with rpms I would use
> -ivh gtk-x.x.x.rpm to install it woithout updateing the older (needed)
> one to get two or more installed.
>
> Question is !  Is there a way to do this with tars or is it now needed,
> just install each version one after the othere?

It's not necessary.  When installing from a tarball, tar has no mechanism
to remove the older version from the system.  Since the new versions of
the libraries advance the soname when needed, the old and new versions of
the libraries will happily work side by side.

If, on the other hand, you do want to remove the old version, running
"make uninstall" works from most of the packages.

Best of Luck
-Gleef