Re: newbie's (stupid?) questions

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Igor Pesando wrote:
> Hello to everybody,
>
> I have hust a couple of questions, I have tried to find the answer using
> the archive but I haven't succeeded  completely. Here are the questions:
>
> 1)
> I was trying to compile gnome according the FAQ but I had some troubles
> with making /intl e /po in gnome-libs, with the help of the archive I have
> understood that I can get the module intl from the cvs repository, then I
> guessed that I can link or copy it into gnome-lib /intl. This works.
> But is it right? And what about /po?

I don't know the exact answer here, but gnome-libs/intl and gnome-libs/po
should both be there whether you got gnome-libs from cvs or from a
tarball.

> 2)
> I have previosuly installed gnome in /usr/local but then I have changed my
> mind an I have decidet to use /opt/gnome. I have made distclean and
> eliminated all .deps dierctories. But now when I run the panel it
> complains that Gimlib cannot find /usr/local/etc/palette. I have linked
> /opt/gnome/etc/palette with it and the panel works. Now the question is
> whether it is my fault since I have not cleaned the imlib module well
> enough  and in this case what can I have forgotten.

Ah, this is something I've gone through!  What you need to do is clean out
the files left by your former installation.  Try doing the following
(note, use bash for this):

   $ cd /usr/local/bin
   $ rm -ri `ls /opt/gnome/bin | xargs ls -d 2>/dev/null`

Rm will go through each file that is present in both directores, and ask
you if you want to delete them.  As you answer "y" to the prompts, it will
delete the /usr/local/bin version and leave the /opt/gnome/bin version.

Note, those are backquotes around the ls mess in the rm command above (on
the same key as ~ on my keyboard, Italian keyboards I don't know).  This
is important, the command will mean something completely different if you
use anything else.

If you don't want all those questions, change the "-ri" to "-rf", but then
you risk major damage if something is mistyped, since you won't know until
it is too late.

If it replies with:

   rm: too few arguments
   Try `rm --help' for more information.

that means that either there's a typo or your directory is clean of
duplicate files.

You then go to the next directory, and repeat the process.  For example:

   $ cd /usr/local/lib
   $ rm -ri `ls /opt/gnome/lib | xargs ls -d 2>/dev/null`

Note that both the cd and the rm command have changed to the new
directory.

You are going to want to do this for the following directories:
  bin
  lib
  include
after each package you install.  From time to time during the process, and
when you are all finished, you should also do these directories:
  share
  etc
  var
  man
  sbin
  share
  doc
  info
  games
  libexec
If any of them don't exist, don't worry about it.

The reason you need to do those first three each time is because there are
files in there used by the build process.  If the old versions are present
under /usr/local it will mess up the builds of future packages.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef